Encyclopedia  |   World Factbook  |   World Flags  |   Reference Tables  |   List of Lists     
   Academic Disciplines  |   Historical Timeline  |   Themed Timelines  |   Biographies  |   How-Tos     
Sponsor by The Tattoo Collection
University of Strathclyde
Main Page | See live article | Alphabetical index

University of Strathclyde

The University of Strathclyde originated as Anderson's Institution in 1796. Its establishment was based on the vision of John Anderson, professor of Natural Philosophy at Glasgow University who left instructions in his will for a university open to everyone regardless of gender or class. The university's main campus is located in the heart of the city, near George Square and it has an education campus in the suburb of Jordanhill at the site of the previous Jordanhill Teacher Training College.

Table of contents
1 Milestones
2 Campus Development
3 External links


Significant dates and predecessor institutions in the evolution of the present university are:

Until 1964 the institution was primarily a technological institute concentrating on science and engineering teaching and research. Undergraduate students could qualify for degrees of the University of Glasgow or the equivalent Associate of the Royal College of Science and Technology (ARCST). There are now five Faculties : Law Arts & Social Sciences, Education, Engineering, Science and Strathclyde Business School

The University has developed its reputation and grown from approximately 4,000 full-time students in 1964 to over 20,000 students in 2003, when it celebrated the 100th anniversary of the laying of the foundation stone of the original Royal College building. It is still a world-renowned centre of excellence in engineering teaching and research, and many well-known manufacturing companies sponsor the university and its scholars.

Campus Development

The campus changed very little from its humble beginnings to the creation of the University of Strathclyde in 1964. The centrepiece building has long been the massive Royal College Building, begun in 1903, and building work took nine years to complete. The 1960s and 1970s saw a huge programme of new academic buildings being built, while the 1980s concentrated on developing the student residences. Below is a synopsis of the campus history, along with the current occupiers of each building in brackets:

External links