Encyclopedia  |   World Factbook  |   World Flags  |   Reference Tables  |   List of Lists     
   Academic Disciplines  |   Historical Timeline  |   Themed Timelines  |   Biographies  |   How-Tos     
Sponsor by The Tattoo Collection
Suzzallo Library
Main Page | See live article | Alphabetical index

Suzzallo Library

Suzzallo Library is the central library of the University of Washington in Seattle, and perhaps the most recognizable building on campus. It is named for Henry Suzzallo, who stepped down as president of the University of Washington in 1926, the same year the first phase of the library's construction was completed.

The library's original architects, Charles H. Bebb and Carl F. Gould Sr, called for three structures, built in Collegiate Gothic style, and arranged in a roughly equilateral triangle with a bell tower in the center. The first phase, which dominates the eastern side of Central Plaza, better known as Red Square, was to form the west face of this triangle. The south face of the triangle was completed in 1936 in the second phase of construction. The north wing of the library was completed in 1963, by which time the University had largely abandoned its earlier architectural style. Instead, this third phase was designed in a modernist concrete and glass style. A further addition was completed in 1990 with the Kenneth S. Allen Library wing, named for Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen's father, an associate director of the University library system from 1960 to 1982. The bell tower called for in the original plans was never built.

A noted highlight of the library is the Graduate Reading Room. It features cathedral ceilings and tall stained glass windows and spans the entire third floor of the west face of the library.

External links