Encyclopedia  |   World Factbook  |   World Flags  |   Reference Tables  |   List of Lists     
   Academic Disciplines  |   Historical Timeline  |   Themed Timelines  |   Biographies  |   How-Tos     
Sponsor by The Tattoo Collection
Smythe's Megalith
Main Page | See live article | Alphabetical index

Smythe's Megalith

Smythe's Megalith is the name given to a now lost Neolithic site near Aylesford in the English county of Kent. The site was probably one of the Medway megaliths.

It was rediscoverd in 1823 by farm workers. A local antiquarian, Clement Smythe recorded the find as follows:

"In the summer of 1823 a British Tomb or Druidical Monument was discovered in the parish of Aylesford on the Warren Farm belong to Geo. Fowle."

Smythe visited the site and his excavations uncovered four irregular shaped stones similar to those at Kit's Coty. At a depth of around 1.2m Smythe found human bones which he recorded as being orienated east-west and lying on a flat stone. A local docor examined the remains and concluded they belonged to two individuals. A small unglazed urn fragment, now lost, was also found. The stones were then removed.

In 1955, two further large stones were struck by a plough, in the same field. The smaller stone was removed, but the larger was left, said to be on a low east-west aligned mound. Whether they were connected with the original find is uncertain as the area is now fully under plough and nothing can be seen on the ground.

This article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by [ expanding it].