Encyclopedia  |   World Factbook  |   World Flags  |   Reference Tables  |   List of Lists     
   Academic Disciplines  |   Historical Timeline  |   Themed Timelines  |   Biographies  |   How-Tos     
Sponsor by The Tattoo Collection
R3Y Tradewind
Main Page | See live article | Alphabetical index

R3Y Tradewind

Convair R3Y Tradewind

R3Y-2 Tradewind low over the ocean
Description
Role Heavy transport flying boat
Crew 5
First Flight 1950
Entered Service 1954
Manufacturer Convair
Dimensions
Length 139' 8" 42.26 m
Wingspan 145' 9" 44.42 m
Height 51' 5" 15.68 m
Wing area 2,102 ft² 640 m²
Weights
Empty 71,824 lbs 32,579 kg
Loaded 145,500 lbs 65,998 kg
Maximum takeoff 165,000 lbs 74,842 kg
Capacity 103 fully-equipped troops, or 92 litter patients and 12 attendants
Powerplant
Engines 4 × Allison T-40 turboprops
Power (per engine) 5,100 hp 3,800 kW
Power (total) 20,400 hp 15,200 kW
Thrust (per engine) 830 lbs 3.7 kN
Thrust (total) 3,420 lbs 14.8 kN
Performance
Maximum speed 388 mph 624 km/h
Combat range 2,785 miles 4,482 km
Ferry range miles km
Service ceiling 39,700 ft 12,100 m
Rate of climb ft/min m/min
Wing loading lb/ft² kg/m²
Avionics
Avionics

The Convair R3Y Tradewind was a giant turboprop-powered flying boat for the United States Navy which entered service in 1954. Originally designed as a patrol bomber under the designation P5Y, the design was soon adapted to a transport aircraft. Eleven aircraft were built, of which six were front-loading R3Y-2 aircraft with a hinged nose and high cockpit; they were intended to be a Flying LST (landing craft). The aircraft were converted into tankers for the inflight refuelling role. They had a short service life because of the insoluble unreliability of their Allison T40 turboprop engines, a fate common to all aircraft so powered.

Convair received a requirement from the US Navy immediately postwar in 1945 for a large flying-boat using the new technology developed during the war, especially the laminar-flow wing and the developing turboprop technology. Their response, the Model 117 was a large, high-wing flying boat with Allison T-40 engines driving six-bladed contra-rotating propellors, a slender high-lift wing with fixed floats, and a sleek body with a single-step hull. The first flight was in 1950 and the first entered service in 1954.

The first two built were in P5Y configuration, armed with 8,000 lb (3,600 kg) of stores (bombs, mines, depth charges, torpedoes) and 5 pairs of 20mm cannon in fore and aft side emplacements and a tail turret. The next five were built as R3Y-1 aircraft, intended for troop transport and inflight refuelling tanker service. The final six were built as the R3Y-2 variant with a lifting nose and high cockpit (similar to modern-day eyes to the C-5 Galaxy's nose and cockpit) for heavier transport and landing-ship duties.

The R3Y set a transcontinental seaplane record of 403 mph in 1954 by utilising the speed of high-altitude jetstream winds. This record still stands. It was also the first aircraft to successfully refuel four others simultaneously in flight in 1956, refuelling four F9F Cougars.

The program was halted after thirteen aircraft were built, the reason being the unreliability of the Allison T-40 turboprops. The crash of one of the two XP5Y-1 aircraft was judged due to catastrophic engine failure; when little progress was being made, the Navy halted the program. Subsequently three more aircraft were lost through engine failures, and the Navy gave up on the T-40 and aircraft powered by it. All P5Y and R3Y aircraft were grounded in 1958 and subsequently broken up.

Related content
Related Development
Similar Aircraft
Designation Series (P5Y) PY - P2Y - P3Y - P4Y - P5Y - Convair P6Y
Designation Series (R3Y) RY - R2Y - R3Y - R4Y
Related Lists List of military aircraft of the United States - List of flying boats
List of Aircraft | Aircraft Manufacturers | Aircraft Engines | Aircraft Engine Manufacturers
Airlines | Air Forces | Aircraft Weapons | Missiles | Years in Aviation