Encyclopedia  |   World Factbook  |   World Flags  |   Reference Tables  |   List of Lists     
   Academic Disciplines  |   Historical Timeline  |   Themed Timelines  |   Biographies  |   How-Tos     
Sponsor by The Tattoo Collection
Lustron house
Main Page | See live article | Alphabetical index

Lustron house

The Lustron House was developed in the post-World War II era in response to the shortage of houses for returning GIs. Carl Strandlund, who had worked with constructing prefabricated gas stations, obtained a Reconstruction Finance Corporation loan to manufacture steel houses with porcelain coated exterior panels. The steel in the houses was an original design, including both steel framing and steel interior walls and ceiling, when most houses were constructed with wood framing and plaster walls on wood. The promise of steel included sturdier construction, reduced maintenance, and ease of pre-fabrication. In addition, the houses were pitched as rodent-proof, fire-proof, lightning-proof, and rust-proof.

Strundland's Lustron Corporation constructed 2,498 Luston Homes in an adapted aircraft plant in Columbus, Ohio between 1949 and 1950. The houses sold for about $7,000.

See also

External links